Tuesday 21 October 2014

Fist Bumping

米文化発見

Cultural Discoveries in the USA


So, some things have changed since I left this land 7 years ago. Been gradually learning and re-adjusting.
  • They're putting peanut butter in small pretzels now.
    Not a bad idea, I guess.
  • Pumpkin latté, pumpkin cereal, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin spice, pumpkin pastry, pumpkin beer...and we don't even have proper seasons in California to appreciate the harvest.
  • 枝豆: Edamame is a thing now. I don't even need to translate the word to ask for it in a store. Way to spread your food culture, Nihon! Now let's try to get Americans to taste 白子. We'll have to say it's pretty much anything other than what it really is, but people will adapt. It's, uh... fish pearls? marine milk? prairie oysters of the sea?
  • Food trucks! Fusion is hot these days. Korean tacos, Japanese hot dogs, chicken and waffles (also, the only way to get me to visit Georgia). Sure, sometimes the mixes don't work out, but the creative culinary attempts are fun to experience.
  • What is kale? Does anyone really know? I think it's a word stores pepper into menus to sell items to people eager to try "healthier" options. Kale salad, kale smoothie, kale pumpkin...
  • I raise my fist to greet you? Really? How is bumping fists a proper "how do you do"? I remember hearing rumors of such things way back when, but I didn't think it would catch on. So aggressive, and, yet, so passive. Is it odd to anyone else that lightly punching people passes for a friendly greeting?

There will be more oddities to come, I'm sure.
That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment